Pasco eSchool provides accommodations in the online environment for students with an IEP, 504 plan, Medical Care Plan, ELL Plan, or Hospital Homebound status. In order to have accommodations implemented in an online class, Pasco eSchool must receive a current copy of the student’s individualized plan or hospital homebound paperwork each semester the student enrolls in a Pasco eSchool course.
When possible, an IEP team meeting should be called to consider the accommodations Pasco eSchool can provide. In some instances, accommodations outlined in an individualized plan are not conducive to the online environment. When this is the case, the local school or parent will need to provide such accommodations to support the student in accordance with the individualized plan.
The current plan/documentation should be shared with Pasco eSchool’s data entry team to ensure that teachers receive a copy of the plan. While Pasco eSchool staff will work with the local school to determine if a placement is appropriate, ultimately the local school is responsible for placement decisions. You may utilize the student online readiness survey as one indicator to determine if online is an appropriate placement for your student. Pasco eSchool is available to review a plan or discuss specific cases before a student is enrolled to help aid in determining whether Pasco eSchool is an appropriate option for a student.
Parents of Pasco eSchool students are strongly encouraged to create a parent account. Parental involvement is vital to student success and parent accounts furnish parents/guardians with a window into student learning environments and provide valuable access to course materials, academic progress, and various student and coursework deadlines throughout the learning experience.
Our online courses are developed in a way which naturally provides many of the supports commonly identified in individualized plans, such as:
- a flexible work schedule, with a hard, weekly due date during the school year
- pacing schedules outlining daily tasks to keep students organized and on pace to meet the weekly due date
- ability for parents and school facilitators to easily monitor individual student progress
- personalized and descriptive feedback for student work
- opportunities for differentiated instruction based on a variety of learning styles
- one-on-one access to the teacher
- opportunity to preview course content
- ability to work in a quiet environment with limited distractions
- review activities, study guides, and notes are integrated into the course content
- ability to plan and prepare for upcoming assessments
- ability to use course content, resources, and self-checks as needed to complete and prepare for graded assignments and assessments
Examples of accommodations conducive to the online environment include:
- extended time on timed assessments
- second attempt on assignments and quizzes
- regular communication between parents and instructors
- use of a calculator
- use of a word-to-word dictionary
- use of graphic organizers
- clear, consistent rules and expectations
- use of organizational devices, such as checklists or pacing schedules
- chunking of larger assignments
*If you have any questions regarding special needs services, please contact Pasco eSchool.